This article will walk you through how to use the Knowledge Base functionality. Your Knowledge Base is a collection of articles that your users can use to find information about your product. If you're looking for additional features that aren't outlined here, please leave your feedback on our forum.
When creating articles, you can use our WYSIWYG (What you see is what you get) editor to format your content.
- Bold: Highlight the text to apply bold formatting
- Italics: Highlight the text to apply italics
- Add a Link: Select the text where you want to add the link, and then click the button. In the pop-up window, enter the URL you want to link to. When a user clicks on the link, it will open in a new tab.
- Code: When you select a section of text and hit the code button, it will be highlighted in blue and use a courier font
- Bulleted List
- Numbered List
- Indent: Indent a paragraph (once or multiple times) to set it off from the rest of the text.
- Pre-formatted: Use this option if you want a section of text or code set off from the rest of the article.
- Header 1 - largest header text
- Header 2 - medium header text
- Header 3 - smallest header text
- Images/Videos: You can upload an image directly from your computer. You also have the option to embed a screenshot or video from a link. We'll walk through this in more detail below.
- HTML: Edit the HTML of your article to do more advanced formatting
- Clear Formatting: This will clear all formatting in your article. This is helpful if you paste in content, and need it to be plain text.
If you apply a formatting option, like H1, but want to remove it later, you can. Simply select the text again, and click the H1 button, to remove the formatting.Pro Tip: To paste text as plain text use Shift + Cmd + v (Mac) or Shift + Control + V (PC)
Embed Images and Videos in Articles
- When editing an article, click the media embed button in the editor (see screenshot above)
- The pop-up window will then give you the option to upload a file or drag and drop an image
- Click the blue button to "Insert Image" and you're done!
Please note: Each image must be uploaded to the article it will be used in. We don't support cross-linking of images between articles. This means that you cannot upload an image to one article, and then copy that embedded image URL and add it to another article.
My image is hosted on a website. What do I do? You can also embed images from a URL. When you click the image embed button, click the "Embed media from a URL" tab.
When uploading images from a URL, the image must be publicly available. Some tools, like Google Drive or DropBox, do not work well with this feature.
Add a Video to an Article
- Just like when adding an image, click the media embed button (see screenshot above)
- Click the "Embed media from a URL" tab
- Enter the URL of the video you would like to embed. We currently support video providers that work with embed.ly (the tool we use to embed media).
Not sure if your video provider is supported? Check out a list of embed.ly's providers.
Troubleshooting Broken Images
If you added the images via a URL (not uploaded from your computer)
- URL is no longer valid: Image was embedded via a URL and the URL no longer works. This can happen if the image was deleted from its source page, moved to another site, or if the site it's hosted on is currently down. To test this, try opening the image URL in another tab.
- Image URL is Private: Image was embedded via a URL and the URL is behind a login. If an image is hosted at a private URL, our embedding tool won't be able to access it. One way to test this is to try opening the image URL in a Chrome incognito window, does it load?
If you uploaded the images from a computer
- Cross-Linking: Image was uploaded to one article, then it was copied and pasted into another article. If you can see the image when logged in as an admin but it doesn't show up for end users, then cross-linking is likely the issue. To fix this, save the image to your computer and upload it individually in each place it's used.
Don't know how the images were added?
- In this case, we recommend re-adding the images. Often this issue is triggered by an image being uploaded incorrectly, or no longer being accessible via a link that was embedded. If you are seeing this in multiple articles, you can reach out to support to verify there are no bugs and see if they have any insight.
Use Topics to Organize Articles
To add and edit Topics, you'll first need to navigate to your settings.
- Click the icon in the bottom left corner
- Choose "General"
- Click "Article Topics."
You’ll see your current Knowledge Base topics listed. You have several options.
- Reorder: Click on the little “Reorder” icon, and move the topics into the order you want.
- Add a New Topic: Allows you to add a new topic.
- Edit: Allows you to edit and change a current topic.
- Delete: This deletes the topic. The articles associated with the topic won’t be deleted; they’ll just no longer be assigned to a topic.
Export Knowledge Base Articles
- In the admin console, click the Articles icon (document) on the left
- Click the gear icon next to the search bar and choose "Export to Excel." This will export all your articles— published and unpublished.
Exporting Specific Articles
If you do a search or view articles by topic, you can export just those articles.
- Enter your search term or keyword
- Click the gear icon
- Choose "Export to Excel"