User and Account Traits allow you to tag your users and accounts with information that's relevant to your business. This helps you analyze your feedback based on things like customer segment or user type. For example, you may want to focus on customers who are nearing their renewal date or high-paying customers with low NPS scores.
With this feature, you can pass in data for both Users and Accounts using our standard "out of the box" traits or by creating your own.
Understanding Users and Accounts in UserVoice
In UserVoice, Users and Accounts are related but separate concepts.
UserVoice User: This is the profile that's created for a user on your UserVoice account automatically when they log in with our default login, interact with the widget or authenticate with SSO. E.g. your end users that are providing feedback.
External Users: Imported user information from your database. Always mapped to the UserVoice user based on the email or UserVoice ID. Required if you want to connect a UserVoice User to an External Account. You can have multiple External Users connected to one UserVoice user.
External Accounts: An Account is a group of users from the same organization. You import external accounts and then connect them to UserVoice users with an external user.
In this article, we'll walk you through the basics of how this feature works
- Standard Traits: These are our "out of the box" traits. They include email, name, created_at, id, type, and account.
- Custom Traits: These are traits that you define. They can be text, numbers, a timestamp, or true/false.
Where You'll See User Traits
In the UserVoice admin console, you'll see your User Traits when viewing a user profile or a list of users (for example, when viewing a list of supporters on an idea).
- Click the "Users" icon in the left-hand menu to see your Users and their traits.
- To view a user profile, you can click on their name anywhere you see it displayed in the admin console.
- To view supporters on an idea, click the idea name then click on the "Users" tab.
How to Use User Traits
This allows you to sort and segment your ideas based on things like user type or persona. You can find more details about the Analysis Export and how to filter your data in this article.
- Standard Traits: These are our "out of the box" traits. They include id, name, created_at, month_rate, ltv (lifetime value), and plan.
- Custom Traits: These are fields that you define. They can be text, numbers, a timestamp, or true/false.
Where You'll See Account Traits
In the UserVoice admin console, you'll see your Account Traits anytime you view an account profile, as well as on the Accounts Page.
- Click the "Users" icon in the left-hand menu then click the "Accounts" tab to view your Accounts.
- To view an account profile, you can click on its name anywhere you see it displayed in the admin console.
- To see the Accounts that support an idea, click the idea name then click the "Accounts" tab.
How to Use Account Traits
To analyze ideas based on your Account traits, you can use the Analysis Export. For a given idea, the export will include its supporters, the accounts they belong to, and the fields associated with them.
This allows you to sort and segment your ideas based on things like plan level or revenue. You can find more details about the Analysis Export and how to filter your data in this article
Q. Can I pass revenue for users and see the combined revenue of supporters on an idea?
A. No, User Traits cannot be aggregated. However, you can pass revenue for Accounts using our Standard Account Traits and then view the combined revenue for the supporting accounts on an idea.
Q. Can a user be associated with more than one account?
A.Yes, a UserVoice user can be associated with multiple accounts. To do this, you must pass a unique external user to correspond to each external account ID. When a user is connected to multiple accounts, we don’t know which account they were representing when adding support to an idea. As a result, all accounts will be listed as supporters on the idea.
You might find helpful:
- Passing user and account traits into UserVoice
- Measure the impact of ideas with the Analysis Export
- Create, manage, and organize internal labels on ideas