User and Account Traits allow you to associated external data with your UserVoice user. This helps you analyze your feedback based on things like account segment or user type. For example, you may want to focus on customers who are nearing their renewal date or high-paying customers with low NPS scores. With this feature, you can pass in data for both Users and Accounts.
This article will outline how Traits are related to Users and Accounts. For importing traits, refer to one of the following guides:
- Import from Salesforce
- Import from HubSpot or Dynamics
- Import from within your application (front-end data) using the Widget Identify();
- Import from any other system:
Understanding Users and Accounts in UserVoice
In UserVoice, Users and Accounts are related but separate objects.
UserVoice User: This is the profile that's created for a user automatically when they log in with our default login, interact with the widget or authenticate with SSO. E.g. your end users that are providing feedback.
External Users: Imported user information (traits) from your CRM or Database. Always mapped to the UserVoice user based on the email or UserVoice ID. Required if you want to connect a UserVoice User to an External Account. You can have multiple External Users connected to one UserVoice user (Salesforce Connector excluded).
External Accounts: An Account is a group of users from the same organization. You import external accounts and then connect them to UserVoice users with an external user.
- Standard Traits: These are our "out of the box" traits. They include email, name, created_at, id, type, and account.
- Custom Traits: These are traits that you define. They can be text, numbers, a timestamp, or boolean (not available when syncing with the Salesforce Connector).
Where You'll See User Traits
In the UserVoice Admin Console, you'll see Traits when viewing a user profile or a list of users (for example, when viewing a list of voters on an idea).
- Click the "Users" icon in the left-hand menu to see your Users and their traits.
- To view a user profile, you can click on their name anywhere you see it displayed in the admin console.
- To view voters on an idea, click the idea name then click on the "Users" tab.
How to Use User Traits
This allows you to sort and segment your ideas based on traits such as user type or persona. You can find more details about the Analysis Export and how to filter your data in this article.
- Standard Traits: These are our "out of the box" traits. They include id, name, created_at, mrr/revenue, ltv (lifetime value), and plan (see Salesforce Connector for how this differs).
- Custom Traits: These are fields that you define. They can be text, numbers, a timestamp, or boolean (not available when syncing with the Salesforce Connector).
Where You'll See Account Traits
In the UserVoice admin console, you'll see your Account Traits anytime you view an account profile, as well as on the Accounts Page.
- Click the "Users" icon in the left-hand menu then click the "Accounts" tab to view your Accounts.
- To view an account profile, you can click on its name anywhere you see it displayed in the admin console.
- To see the Accounts that support an idea, click the idea name then click the "Accounts" tab.
How to Use Account Traits
To analyze ideas based on your Account traits, you can use the Analysis Export. For a given idea, the export will include its supporters, the accounts they belong to, and the fields associated with them.
This allows you to sort and segment your ideas based on things like plan level or revenue. You can find more details about the Analysis Export and how to filter your data in this article.
Automatically Generated Accounts by Email Domain
- Since these accounts are generated based on user email domains, each account’s name will match the email domain that generated it minus the “@” symbol.
- External ID of the account will always be the full domain including the @ symbol. For example, External ID: @acme.com.
- Per account, the number of users will be updated as feedback is received by users from that email domain.
- Ideas and features counts on these external accounts will be updated normally as user feedback is associated to ideas and features. You can use the CSV import documented above to update Account data that is generated from email domains.
- On the Ideas and Features grids, reach column for accounts will be automatically updated as these accounts are generated.
Q. Can I pass revenue for users and see the combined revenue of supporters on an idea?
A. No, User Traits cannot be aggregated. However, you can pass revenue for Accounts using our Standard Account Traits and then view the combined revenue for the supporting accounts on an idea.
Q. Can a user be associated with more than one account?
A.Yes (not available when syncing with the Salesforce Connector), a UserVoice user can be associated with multiple accounts. To do this, you must pass a unique external user to correspond to each external account via ID. When a user is connected to multiple accounts, we don’t know which account they were representing when adding support to an idea. As a result, all accounts will be listed as supporters on the idea.