This is a guide for importing voters and feedback from a CSV file. With this import, you can add your users as voters of existing ideas and also subscribe them to status updates.
Downloading the Import Template
The first step for importing your data is to download the import template. The template is an empty spreadsheet with the allowed headers pre-filled. We'll walk you through where to find the template in the admin console.
1. Click the "Idea" icon (lightbulb) in the left-hand menu -> click the orange "See All Ideas" button -> click the cloud icon on the right side of the page -> select "Import Voters/Feedback".
2. Click the link to download the Voter and Feedback Import Template.
Formatting your data
You can import up to 50,000 rows. You must use the pre-filled headers from the template and save your file as a UTF-8 encoded. We'll walk you through the headers which will be included.
- Suggestion.id: Only required if suggestion.title matches more than one idea on your forum. You can get the suggestion.id from an ideas export, or from an idea's URL (https://example.uservoice.com/admin/v3/suggestions/14925747)
- Suggestion.title: Must match an existing idea from your forum.
- User.email_address: Email address of the user you want to add as a voter [Required]
- User.name: Only used if the voter's email address does not match an existing profile on your UserVoice account.
- Link_suggestion_user.created_timestamp: The time when the user supported the idea. Format: 2016-01-01T00:00:00Z (for UTC). If left blank, this will default to the time of the import process.
- Link_suggestion_user.is_subscribed: Enter "yes" or leave blank. If you enter "yes", then the user will be subscribed to status updates on the suggestion they support.
- A new piece of feedback with a new voter of the idea: "Yes" will subscribe the user. If you leave it blank the user will not be subscribed.
- A new piece of feedback with a voter who has already voted on the idea: "Yes" will subscribe or leave their existing subscription in place. <Blank> will not subscribe them (but it won't remove an existing subscription).
- A new voter and no connected request: Yes or <blank> will subscribe the voter. If you do not want to subscribe the voter, enter No.
If you fill in any of the feedback fields, then request.body will be required.
- Request.body: This is the customer sentiment, usually in the customer's own words. For example, this could be the text from a tweet or from an email. This will only be visible to your admins in UserVoice.
- Request.captured_by_user.email_address: The user (at your company) who captured the customer’s request. Will default to the importer if not specified.
- Request.captured_by_user.name: Only used if the email address of the person capturing the request does not have a profile on your UserVoice account. Saved as <blank> if not specified.
- Request.source_url: The URL of the page the request was captured on (like a Facebook post or Tweet). Saved as <blank> if not specified.
Importing your file
Now that your data is formatted you can add it to Uservoice. We'll walk you through how to do this.
- If you do not have the import dialogue open already, click the "Idea" icon in the left-hand menu → Click "All Open Ideas" → Click the cloud icon in the top right → Select "Import Voters/Feedback".
- Click the "Select .csv file" button → choose your file → click "Next".
- The next screen will show you how many rows will be imported. If a row contains an error, the whole row will be ignored and it will not be imported. You can choose to ignore the rows with errors or fix them and try again.
- Click the "Start Import" button, and you're done! You'll receive an email when the import has been completed and you'll see your imported data when you refresh the ideas page.
- Uploaded .csv file is invalid: Make sure you have saved your file as a CSV (comma delimited).
- Required column missing: The following columns must be included in your file: suggestion.title or suggestion.id, user.email_address, and request.body (if another request field has been filled out).
- Required values missing: Make sure the following required columns are filled in: suggestion.title or suggestion.id, user.email_address.
- Invalid values provided: Your field values may not be in the correct format. See the Default Headers section above for formatting guidelines.
- Reference objects not found: This indicates that your import references a suggestion that has not yet been created in UserVoice.
- Duplicate records found: One of the requests in the import has the same user, suggestion, and body as an existing request from your forum.
- Unrecognized column provided: This means that one of the column headers is not recognized by our system. Make sure you are using the headers directly from the template
- Ambiguous suggestion: A suggestion title from the import matches more than one suggestion from your forum. To fix this, enter a suggestion.id.
Q: Can I create new suggestions with this import?
A: No, this import can only be used to add supporters to existing suggestions. You can import new suggestions with our Ideas Import.
Q. Can I use this import to update user profile information?
A. No. This import cannot be used to update user profiles.
Q: How long will the import take to process?
A: For the maximum size CSV file (10,000 rows), the import may take up to an hour to process, but is often done much faster.
Q. I imported some feedback that is incorrect. How can I fix them?
You can delete and edit feedback via the admin interface. (Click the idea icon on the left -> click "all open suggestions" -> search and filter to find the relevant idea and click on its title -> scroll down and click "edit" on the feedback record you want to edit or delete.)
Q: How can import more than 50,000 rows at once?
A: At this time, this is not possible. If you want to see us add support for this, please share your idea on our forum.